Garden visitor


When the bird feeders suddenly have no birds around it can sometimes indicate the presence of a sparrowhawk. 

This day he stayed around on the birdbath for a good 10 minutes.  I'm almost certain it was a male - they are more colourful than the females with slate grey back feathers and orangey - brown bars on their chests.  Females have brown colouring.

They have adapted to hunting in confined spaces and will fly along the line of a hedge to surprise their prey. We often see them fly in swiftly to the feeders although I've yet to see them catch a small bird here.





The photos were taken through the kitchen window - hence the reflection -


 - and with the lens on full zoom so I could stay away from the window.



What a stunning looking bird

Comments

  1. I agree, a really stunning bird, super photos too! We have them zipping round our conservatory at eye level, hoping to catch a bird on the feeder just round the corner.
    Once when driving home, I suddenly had one right beside me, by my wing mirror. I think it was hitching a ride in my slip stream! It stayed there for a few seconds then suddenly flew across the bonnet of the car into the hedge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, E&J are very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Country File calendar entry next year Sue? What a beautiful bird & to see it so close. Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment