End of Month - May 2017
May has been a mixed month. Dry at the beginning, cold, wet and warm days as well. It has been stop-start for the plants but I think most are ahead of where they were this time last year.
The lupins have looked fabulous but are going over fast. There were 6 in this bed originally but only 3 now. Interestingly the ones that have disappeared are all on the same side of the bed.
Rosa Madame Isaac Pereire before the rain got to her. (above and below). A shrub rose that can be grown as a short climber - here on the pergola under the wisteria.
The new Crab Apple bed is filling out well. The chicken-wire is a result of a roaming bunny (or 2) who had the freedom of the garden while we were away. Some plants escaped but newly planted astrantias, lupins and sanguisorba suffered badly. Now protected they are coming back, so hopefully will flower - just a bit later!!
Nearly all the acquilega's that pop up everywhere are the small double variety. Probably Nora Barlow series
They are becoming a bit invasive and seed around freely - but I'd rather have these than ground elder!
The lupins have looked fabulous but are going over fast. There were 6 in this bed originally but only 3 now. Interestingly the ones that have disappeared are all on the same side of the bed.
Rosa Madame Isaac Pereire before the rain got to her. (above and below). A shrub rose that can be grown as a short climber - here on the pergola under the wisteria.
This is Gertrude Jekyll, a David Austin rose, also on the pergola.
Lots of lush growth now - just waiting for a few more flowers.
The new Crab Apple bed is filling out well. The chicken-wire is a result of a roaming bunny (or 2) who had the freedom of the garden while we were away. Some plants escaped but newly planted astrantias, lupins and sanguisorba suffered badly. Now protected they are coming back, so hopefully will flower - just a bit later!!
The gladiolus byzantinus seem to be spreading themselves around the garden - they are flowering well this year - here with Libertia grandiflora
Nearly all the acquilega's that pop up everywhere are the small double variety. Probably Nora Barlow series
They are becoming a bit invasive and seed around freely - but I'd rather have these than ground elder!
New bed is looking good!x
ReplyDeleteI recognised the chicken wire cages as soon as I saw them! Bunnies are a menace. But your garden looks fabulous.
ReplyDeleteHello Sue - I am not sure how I landed on your site but I am glad I did - your garden is beautiful. I will visit again to have a roam around your blog.
ReplyDelete