End of Month View - January 2017.
In the spirit of trying to blog on a more regular basis as mentioned at the beginning of the year I thought I would join in with a meme that I have enjoyed following in the past.
Rather than photograph the whole garden I'm going to concentrate on two beds and attempt to follow their progress through the year. Today has been wet and grey so the photos do not zing.
The first bed is the new one that we dug out in the autumn of 2016 and which I've blogged about before.
It has been planted with a backbone of shrubs which will hopefully form a divide across the garden.
I'm calling it the Crab Apple bed - as the crab apple which was in the lawn is now in the centre of the wider end of the bed. There are a few snowdrops emerging which were planted around the base of the tree before the bed was planned.
Daffodils coming through - they were growing in the lawn - we thought they were all dug up - but obviously not!.
The second bed I'm calling the Potting Shed bed - because that's the potting shed behind it with a small patio area between the two.
There were a number of beds here when we moved in. We have been sorting and editing some of those. This was the first flower bed that we've created since moving here and it was dug out in early 2015 so this will be its third summer.
It is now in need of an edit - as I knew it would be. I have a tendency to overplant - I'm not a lover of bare soil - but that means there is now a need to move some of the original plantings. I have already taken out some hemerocallis which were struggling for space.
Below are three photos taken in April 2015 as the potting shed bed was being created.
I'm joining in with Helen, The Patient Gardener and her End of Month view.
Lots of interesting posts there.
Rather than photograph the whole garden I'm going to concentrate on two beds and attempt to follow their progress through the year. Today has been wet and grey so the photos do not zing.
The first bed is the new one that we dug out in the autumn of 2016 and which I've blogged about before.
It has been planted with a backbone of shrubs which will hopefully form a divide across the garden.
I'm calling it the Crab Apple bed - as the crab apple which was in the lawn is now in the centre of the wider end of the bed. There are a few snowdrops emerging which were planted around the base of the tree before the bed was planned.
There are some grasses planted so far, two penstemons, two sedums and lots of space.
There will be more grasses and perennials - maybe some that are new to me. Sanguisorbas perhaps.
Daffodils coming through - they were growing in the lawn - we thought they were all dug up - but obviously not!.
There were a number of beds here when we moved in. We have been sorting and editing some of those. This was the first flower bed that we've created since moving here and it was dug out in early 2015 so this will be its third summer.
It is now in need of an edit - as I knew it would be. I have a tendency to overplant - I'm not a lover of bare soil - but that means there is now a need to move some of the original plantings. I have already taken out some hemerocallis which were struggling for space.
Looking up the garden with the new crab apple bed in middle of the lawn in the background
I haven't done the post-winter tidy yet - well it's still winter.
Not looking its best
Calamagrostis brachytricha is a lovely grass which has faded well and kept some shape unlike others which have collapsed.
I'm joining in with Helen, The Patient Gardener and her End of Month view.
Lots of interesting posts there.
Hi Sue! I'm looking forward to seeing how your flowerbeds change over the year. That's a great idea to just follow a few.
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous of your bulbs poking up already. I've got a few more months to go for mine!
Your new crab apple bed will soon fill up and look as though it has always been part of the garden. The bulbs are telling us that spring can't be far away, what a difference a few flowers make!
ReplyDeleteSangisorbas would be good and maybe some shortish asters or helenium. Glad you are joining in with the meme
ReplyDeleteThat new bed is going to look brilliant. I shall look forward to following along.
ReplyDeleteThose are going to be a lot of fun! Looking forward to seeing more (and Thanks, Anxious Gardener for pointing me to you).
ReplyDelete