New Arrivals

I have become very fond of snowdrops.  They did not flourish in our Surrey garden as the soil was fine, sandy, very dry and acidic.  Somerset seems to suit them better and we inherited a substantial number of clumps of the double Galanthus nivalis pleniflorus "Flore Pleno".




They are at the stage where they now need splitting as they are not flowering as well.  I guess the clumps are congested. The 3 photos above were not taken this year- although there is a lot of leaf, none of the clumps have more than one or two flowers this year - some do not have any.  Action needed!

There were no singles, so over the last 3 years I have bought single Galanthus nivalis to spread around the garden and the first ones planted are starting to bulk up.
A typical clump of Galanthus nivalis, planted 3 years ago -  now starting to bulk up
There are another 100 on order which will hopefully arrive soon.

I have started to buy one or two different varieties that I am planting in a separate bed.  Nothing out-of-the-ordinary and certainly nothing expensive!!  Just a little indulgence.

Hence the post title - - these arrived this week


G. nivalis "viridapice"


Magnet
and two G. woronowii.

Ordered last Saturday, dispatched Monday,arrived Tuesday. Beautifully and carefully packed and excellent plump bulbs in good condition from Cornovium Snowdrops. 
The space for them has been cleared by removing an overgrown bergenia and they will hopefully be planted this week - they are currently potted up awaiting transfer to the new home where they will join "Limetree" and "S. Arnott" from last year.








Comments

  1. The snowdrops are beautiful! I've had to move some around here over the past year and they haven't all thrived in their new location, so I've made a note of yours as I'm looking to replace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your recent visit and comment on one of my posts Sue. It's always a pleasure to come across another snowdrop lover :) Cornvovium Snowdrops are just down the road from me and I've bought some new drops from them for the last couple of years now. They've done well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only have one small patch of snowdrops that I seem to dig up every year when I am weeding. They are slowly bulking up but I think I wont live long enough to see them actually form a drift. I am not a connoisseur but I do love the simplicity of this little flower.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts