November colour.

According to data published last week, November 2015 was the dullest November since records began - and it did seem gloomy -but there was colour still around

Hydrangeas are very elegant in the way they fade.

As are sedums - this is an inherited one.  I think it's probably "Herbstfreude" also known as "Autumn Joy" - which I prefer as a name, not only because it describes how it is, but also it's easier to pronounce!

Winter flowering Jasmin and Cotoneaster horizontalis. 

This is the first time in the 4 years we have been here that the winter flowering Jasmin has put on a good show.  It's not a plant I'm very fond of and there's a lot of it in this garden - although less than there was. It's untidy and sprawls - but I can forgive it if it flowers well.


The wisteria leaves are a mix of colours before they fall.

They contrast well with the Cornus Kousa



Acer griseum, the paperbark maple provides a burst of colour in what can be a gloomy corner at this time of year.


with a glimpse of Mahonia to the right - still attracting a lot of bumblebees 

A favourite shady corner - although looks like the sun shone that day.




A sign of what's to come - flower buds on helleborus foetidus.  

Like the jasmin, this hellebore is everywhere in this garden and they seed around as well - but have proved to be useful in the shady areas. I'm gradually moving some to the woodland area.

So, a glimpse of November.  Now we are into December most of the foliage is changing, leaves are down and it all looks wintry - bit that's another post.


Comments

  1. You've got some fabulous plants in your garden, the Cornus kousa and Acer griseum are among my favourites. I can agree about November being dull, wasn't it awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Sue. I had heard that fading hydrangeas looked pretty and yours do. I even picked some for the house this year and they were excellent. However the frost got the Surrey hydrangeas and the leaves are BLACK,NOT attractive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment