Something different
Two years ago, in late summer, we visited a small nursery and garden opening for the NGS. Amongst the attractive planting was a purple Angelica (Angelica gigas) which was new to me. The nursery had sold out of these plants but they had one which had self-sown itself into a pot of Asters - so I bought the aster to have the Angelica and save it's seed. As it is a biennial the flower would die later in the year having set seed.
I duly collected the seed and, as instructed, planted it that autumn while it was still fresh. It did not germinate until well into 2016 and the plants stayed tiny throughout the year.
When planting up my new border this spring I used up the remaining seedlings - and they have romped away - the flower buds are like nothing I have seen before.........
I duly collected the seed and, as instructed, planted it that autumn while it was still fresh. It did not germinate until well into 2016 and the plants stayed tiny throughout the year.
When planting up my new border this spring I used up the remaining seedlings - and they have romped away - the flower buds are like nothing I have seen before.........
Before they open they have a strange little leaflet as a top-knot!!
Gradually the buds are opening to reveal flowers in shades of pink and white.
The flower heads are not fully developed yet
I'm looking forward to seeing them in full bloom.
Comments
Post a Comment