Catching Up 3. Sissinghurst 07.09.2016
I think this will be the last catch-up post. I'm not sure how long I can go on posting garden visits from last year - although I do enjoy going back and looking at the photographs again - and it was a brilliant sunny day, unlike this weekend which has been grey and very cold
Sissinghurst Castle garden was one of the three gardens we visited early last September on our mini-break to the Kent / Sussex borders. It is now owned by the National Trust but as I'm sure most people know the garden was created by Vita Sackville-West and her husband Harold Nicholson. Harold designed the layout of the garden with its series of garden "rooms" and Vita was responsible for the planting - and what planting!
Three years ago when I was laid up with a broken ankle I read several books on the Nicholson family and Sissinghurst by Harold and Vita's son, Nigel, their grandson, Adam and also his wife,
Sarah Raven. This was the first time we had returned to Sissinghurst since then and it added to my sense of the place having more background knowledge about Vita and Harold and knowing more about the more recent developments of the estate.
Sissinghurst Castle garden was one of the three gardens we visited early last September on our mini-break to the Kent / Sussex borders. It is now owned by the National Trust but as I'm sure most people know the garden was created by Vita Sackville-West and her husband Harold Nicholson. Harold designed the layout of the garden with its series of garden "rooms" and Vita was responsible for the planting - and what planting!
Three years ago when I was laid up with a broken ankle I read several books on the Nicholson family and Sissinghurst by Harold and Vita's son, Nigel, their grandson, Adam and also his wife,
This is a Grade 1 listed garden and one of the National Trust's most visited properties.
Zinnias were a favourite of Vita's and they are being reintroduced to the garden.
The tower where Vita wrote can be seen from most areas of the garden.
| The Lime walk. |
There are areas of calm.......
...and areas of luxuriant planting.
Recommended Reading

Looks lovely x
ReplyDeleteGorgeous garden, love to go back one day soon!
ReplyDeleteHi Sue. Will have to swap photos. You had a lovely day too. May not have my own garden but I do enjoy visiting them.
ReplyDeleteLinda
Hello Sue, I've popped in to say 'Hello!' I love the Englishness (is that a word?) of your blog. I've never been to Sissinghurst, it looks very lovely. I lived between Woking and Guildford for almost thirty years before we took the plunge and headed up here to the frozen north!
ReplyDelete