Garden Projects 2 - A new bed

There is quite a large expanse of lawn in this garden and although I acknowledge that a lawn is an important part of the garden, I really just want to have more plants and less grass!  This is not a small garden and yet I have found myself having plants in pots with nowhere obvious to plant them in the current (congested) borders, or wanting more shrubs and again looking for space for them.

So this summer we planned a new central bed in the lawn with the intention that eventually when the plants and shrubs grow it will screen the area beyond it to create a more discreet area to walk round and through.


This is a rural garden and would not lend itself to "garden rooms" but I think it adds interest to be able to wander around different areas and not see the whole in one view.

The initial shape was marked with tent pegs and hoses round those to gave a clearer perspective.
At one end of the bed is the crab apple tree which gives a lovely display of blossom in spring and will be under-planted with low-growing plants including hostas and grasses

Then the edge was dug out - with a few adjustments and refinements!!
The curves are designed to mirror the other borders on either side of the garden


After that the turf was lifted and disposed of...............
G. did all the hard work.



..........and some initial planting started.





I wanted to get the shrubs in this autumn while the soil was still warm to give them a chance to get established.  I have since planted some grasses and perennials and will infill next year.


Even though not complete it's had a positive effect on the garden already.






Comments

  1. Looking good!! Got to love a new bed, looking forward to seeing it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like it! Although you know as the kids get older that's going to take a hammering with a football! Better make them hardy plants! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there was a reason we needed so much lawn!

      Delete
  3. Love your new bed and how you went about making it. When we made beds here we did the same as you, the hosepipes came out until we were happy with the shapes.Will look forward to updates about your planting, it is going to look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment